Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Esprit de Corps! Kickin' it!

This Friday I am leaving on tour with Esprit, an absolutely amazing singing/drama team based out of Berean Church in Lincoln, and I am sooooooooo excited.

We will be traveling around the middle part of Nebraska and then we drive down and perform in St. Louis for a couple days. I'm so eager to just spend time with all the AWESOME kids involved in this ministry and the time in devotions with God. I plan on growing in many, many ways.

All of the kids in Esprit are in high school or recently just graduated (like me), and you're normal high school kids may be stereotypical and judgemental. These kids are not, it's so nice to be with a group of people that are so accepting and understanding of you. The only thing wrong with it is I haven't done in the past few years. My aunt does all the music stuff, so it's not like I just didn't know. If I would have known that it would be a part of such a dedicated, motivated, and talented group I would have done it the past couple years.

I would have to say that singing wise, this is the best group I've ever been a part of. Sure, I've been in high school choir and we did have some pretty talented groups, but this is insane! Usually in your normal high school choirs you have certain kids who just cannot sing. That's not an issue in Esprit. EVERYONE can sing and are able to at a high level.

Now during the school year I sang bass in choir. When I came to try out for Esprit my aunt Carey agreed with me that I was more of a baritone. She said she did not care what I sang. First rehearsal came along and I tried my luck at tenor, I had sang tenor my first 2.5 years in high school and I forgot how cool it was. But there was something else I found interesting...

If anything I'm a low tenor, I've never been known for a high range and being able to wail way up there and tear it up as some tenors do, but as I've been singing tenor with Esprit I've learned that when I don't think about the notes and just worship, I can hit any note I want. It's not an issue at all. In our closer, Make Some Noyz, the opening statement starts high immediately. It's unison with the girls and is in the range of high C to high G and I have absolutely no problem if I just let it rip and worship the Lord. It feels so good!

So, that's it for a while. I'll be on tour, hanging out and praising for a whole week. I am so pumped! See you on the 12th!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are enjoying this! I think this will be the first of many great musical experiences for you. It will also be a great spiritual experience. It's one of the reasons I went from teaching music to music ministry. I am proud of you!!!

Dad