Sunday, March 29, 2009

If God is Love, then...

Last night, Zac and I got into kind of a deep conversation. We had been out at the Shanno's just hanging out and our way back stopped at McDonald's for some cheeseburgers. My roommate was asleep 'cause he had a track meet today so we just chilled in Zac's room. I don't think we were looking to have a deep conversation; it just kind of happened. At different points, we both were teary-eyed.

We had been talking about girls and love and such. I'm sure what I'm about to say, if read by many, is going to cause TONS of controversy. We had been talking about friends of ours that were in relationships in where God wasn't number one. For the past few months, I have been a bit disturbed by non christian couples that say they love each other, and I really had no idea why, but realized it last night.

If God is Love, then how on earth can you say you love someone if you don't know God? I don't think you can truly understand love if you don't know God and are not pursuing a positive relationship with Him. Non believers have never truly felt the emotion and feeling of love.

Like I said, controversial. I'm sure I'm being "intolerant" and "close-minded" to many people, but I'd rather be on good terms with God than anyone else. I really believe what I just said. If you don't know God, you don't know love, no matter how much you say you do. Some of the most genuine couples I've seen are my parents. They really do love each other, because they both know God and have positive relationships with Him. I've also noticed this with their friends that are the same. One specific couple sticks out in my mind. They're a lot like my parents. They have 4 kids and it's obvious that they do just genuinely love each other because they know God.

There it is. Take what you will.

1 comment:

Tami said...

Interesting. You're asking for it, huh?

I'm not sure I would put it exactly how you have, but I know when both sides of a couple are pursuing God individually, it makes them stronger as a couple. Someone once gave me the example of a triangle where God is at the top, the man on one corner, the woman on the other. As each one reaches for God at the top, moving up the sides of the triangle, they shorten the distance between the two of them too.

You keep holding out for that girl who loves God more than you and you will be seriously blessed. I'm proud of you, Keygan.