Sunday, January 18, 2009

Be Still

Everyone loves music, but some appreciate more than others. I, being a music major, would say that I do and I truly realized it this past weekend. My mom's birthday was this weekend so I decided I should probably go home. College and home is a pretty good distance away, about 2 and a half hours, so I listened to a bunch of music on the way home and I took another 45 minute trip to see a certain someone. I went there and back so all together I had 6 and a half hours of intense music listening. It was good time.

Anyways, I've noticed that certain songs extract different emotions. This sounds really cheesy, I know. But for instance, All the Memories by The Classic Crime makes me a bit sad because it reminds me of my high school show choir and how much I loved it. A couple songs by Tool also do the same but with drumline, it reminds me of the winter shows in the past.

However, the most emotional ones I have found are songs I sang with Esprit de Corps. Every time I listen to Make Some Noyz I get chills, because I can remember exactly what it felt like to just praise with everyone together. It was one of the most awesome feelings I've ever had. But the best one out of that group was Still by Hillsong. It's easily one of my favorite songs of all time. I had heard it a few times before Esprit but never realized how awesome of a song it truly is.

We sang it at youth group tonight and I just listened to it again. I almost cried. There are so many things going on in my life right now that I lose sleep over. I don't have a job and need one badly. I know what's right, but don't necessarily do it all the time. My classes are stressing me out already. I'm worried about a developing relationship for no real reason. I'm scared that transferring won't go smoothly. I'm even worried about not getting into the School of Music at UNL. Everything just seems to be chipping away at me.

Yet, in spite of that, this song reminds me not to worry, to relax, to be still, and know that God is God. He is King over the flood. I know His power in quietness and trust. I will find rest in Christ alone. My favorite lyrics of the song: "I will soar with You above the storm."

*sigh* thanks God.

1 comment:

Tami said...

Want to know something really weird? I sang "Still" all the way to Lincoln today. I lay awake at night and wonder about the very same things you've talked about here. I pray over all these issues, Keygan. I know you are in a very stressful time in life, but I take heart you are looking in the right place for comfort and guidance. He will guide you. He IS guiding you. I can see His impact in your life. Another of my favorite songs is "Life is hard, but God is good."

I am so proud of you and know you will succeed. God's got your heart and as long as you keep seeking Him you'll be great.

You can do this weird thing called life. I have full confidence in you.

I love you.