Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Genesis of College Life

Well it has been QUITE a while since my last post. I've been busy with college. I moved into my dorm at UNK on the 14th. Drumline camp started 8:30 the next day. We had auditions. Turned out to be 6 snares, 3 tenors, 5 basses, and 2 cymbals. I managed to make it on the snare line.

But I wasn't very worried about this audition. It turned out the way I thought it would. However, the one audition I'm getting more and more freakin' excited for is Troopers. In less than 4 months I will be in Casper, auditioning for the Troopers drum and bugle corps snare line and I am pumped.

I tried for Colts last January but unfortunately wasn't able to make the line there. However I was able to make it into the top 15 snares out of 40 and lately everything just seems to be clicking. Its awesome! I can play through the Colts opener easily now! This year in DCI the Colts drumline placed 15th overall. The instructor there told me to keep practicing hard and by next year they'd have a spot for me. However, Troopers seems to be more my style. Titled drums, the use of arm, etc. I feel like if were to go audition at Colts now I'd be on the borderline of making it, and I've still got a few months left to practice. Oh also, Troopers drumline placed 16th this year in DCI.

Now to go off on a complete tangent, when we were still on Esprit tour, I made a comment the last night at the hotel. I said that the song "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus" was hard for me to believe because I have all these awesome people around me that are walking with me. Carey told me that I'd better start believing it because I'm headed off to college soon and she was right.

I went from about 50 awesome christian kids from Esprit to FOOT and now I'm down to maybe 2 or 3. I keep thanking God that he let Zac come to UNK because it has helped me out a lot. To know that I'm not completely alone in my faith is very reassuring, and the other girl I probably just creep out. Hopefully when the rest of the students move in I'll find a group of really good kids.

Sunday I did not go to church, due to sleep deprivation and an unknown location of Kearney Berean, but I do plan on going next week, with Zac.

2 Corinthians 6:14

1 comment:

Ben Klar said...

Tell Zac that he's a dork next time you see him. I don't know if he ever checks Facebook or his email, but tell him to get me his UNK email.

P.S. Good luck with your rat-a-tat-tat stuff.